Monday, February 25, 2013

I'm moving to Panamá.

It's official.  Nine months, an unbelievable volume of paperwork, and a 16-page job description later, I accepted a position as a Sustainable Agricultural Systems Extension Agent for the Peace Corps in Panamá.

Globe

Globe image via

Even though I've been in the application process for close to a year, I'm still wrapping my head around the reality of the events that are going to be unfolding in the next few months.  I'll be moving to Panamá on June 19 and after nine weeks of training I will be assigned to a rural community that will become my home for the next two years.  

As my position will encompass a lot, what I do on a day-to-day basis could vary widely from education on agricultural best practices to business education and farm management.  A large number of volunteers also work to facilitate increased production and international trade with coffee and/or cacao plantations.  Chocolate and coffee: two of my favorite things.  Could there be a better fit?!

Unlike many current and future volunteers, I never planned on serving in the Peace Corps.  It always seemed like an incredible thing for someone to do, but when I thought about my career path it just didn't seem to mesh.  Then, one day this past summer I outlined everything I wanted in a job (similar to this post) and it just clicked.  Travel, education, business related careers, cultural diversity, and philanthropy- the Peace Corps had it all.  Two days later, my application was submitted and something just told me that it was right.  

Now, as I begin preparations to move to Panamá, I am so unbelievably excited and honored to begin this chapter of my life.  As the Peace Corps says, this is the hardest job you'll ever love.



peace-corps

No comments:

Post a Comment