Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Exploring Historic San Juan








Since I started writing about my trip to Puerto Rico in yesterday's post, I figured that I would go ahead and turn it into a mini-series since there is so much to talk about.  Be sure to stick around to hear a little more about Puerto Rico's sights and tastes, because let's be honest, food is definitely one of the best parts of travel.  

The island has got some of the coolest history, as it's an eclectic mix of Spanish, American, and Caribbean.  If you've read some of my previous posts, you probably know I'm not a huge history buff or museum lover, as I prefer to really experience history by being there and actually walking where they walked, seeing what they saw, etc.  Two great places for exploring like this are the forts that once guarded the capital of San Juan. 

Fort San Felipe del Morro and Fort San Cristóbal are both open to the public with minimal entrance fees.  While there, you can see various historical exhibits and explore most of the forts (including the dungeon and various underground passageways).  After you see one, you can catch a trolley or walk to the other.  Though they're pretty similar, you'll receive a pretty nice discount on your second admission, and both have several unique aspects.  

If forts aren't really your forte, pun intended, all you need to do to experience a little history is just wander through Old San Juan.  The neighborhood is full of beautiful old buildings and courtyards, delicious eateries, and plenty of entertainment.  Just beware of the tourist trap shops which fill some streets.  For shopping and souvenirs, you're better off looking for a local market or festival. 

Tune in tomorrow when I'll be sharing photos of the brightly colored architecture, some of my favorite in all of my travels thus far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment