Wednesday, April 9, 2014

How to Bake Over a Fire (or Stovetop)

Anybody who knows me knows that I have a seemingly insatiable sweet tooth and a love for baking. When faced with both no oven and no locally available sweets, I knew I had to look outside the box to satisfy my cravings. Thanks to our Peace Corps Panama cookbook, I learned how to bake over a stove or open fire. After several months and countless recipes, I have to say I'm surprisingly pleased at how well this little setup works. 

This method is great for both campers and dorm or apartment living that comes without an oven. All you need is a large, lidded pot, a clean and empty tuna can (or similar item), and a baking pan than can fit inside your pot. 

Place the can inside your pot, the baking pan on top of the can, and your lid on top, and "bake" over a low flame until your baked goods are done. Since you really can't control temperature too much, you'll need to be the judge here and do your best with the flame you have. The cooking time may sound a little complicated, but by keeping a frequent eye on things, I've never had an issue. 




Ta-da!  And now you have a lovely cake- no oven required.



Good luck and enjoy your delicious, fresh baked treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment