Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas in Panama

A Winter Wonderland, decked out with Christmas decorations?  I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas (And am definitely, definitely not getting one) is more like it.  It's certainly different to spend December in a hot, tropical climate, and even with Christmas carols on loop in my house, it just never felt the same.  


Even though I may not have experienced the typical Christmas setting, my dad more than made up for it with a visit to Panama.  Though we'll be spending most of his visit in my site, we decided to take a few days break and return to modern conveniences with a short trip to Boquete, Chiriqui. 

Before leaving though, we had a little Christmas party for the kids in my village.  The turnout was amazing- nearly 70 people! Though maybe I should have known since I was offering free food and gift bags…




With cool weather, hot showers, and bountiful coffee, Boquete was a welcome break for us.  Though we briefly talked about going to a nice restaurant for Christmas dinner, we I quickly realized there was no way I could ignore the beautiful kitchen appliances at our disposition.  Thus, a home-made Christmas dinner was born.  

My dad was surprised that I brought my little tree along, though I'm not sure why.

It's amazing how much more tranquil I am about travel when I know I'll be living in the country for at least another year and a half.  Whereas Pre-Peace Corps me would have planned a full schedule of activities, restaurant visits, and photo ops, Dad and I took a calmer route and settled for a coffee tour and time to simply relax.  It was a great way to spend the holiday, and we were even able to attend Christmas mass, a tradition I'm glad I didn't have to miss out on.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment